This post may seem pretty negative and harsh but let me start with this. If you follow people and enjoy their content this should not be used but if your Instagram is making a negative impact on your life because you feel like you put so much in and get little out these are some options.
I started dipping my foot into the Influencer world about 4 years ago. I started doing research on gaining followers and at that time I don’t believe “Engagement” was a thing yet (or at least I didn’t know of it). I DM’d another person who seemed to have a lot of followers and ask them how they got started in gaining followers. Their suggestion was to follow everyone who follows you and follow people who comment often on other people’s posts. This isn’t the worst advice but
HONEST TRUTH: Just because you follow someone it does not mean they have to follow you. Or if they follow you it doesn’t mean they have to interact.
Spring Cleaning Instagram
How I de-stress is through excel spreadsheets (I know, Weird). So I decided to make an Instagram Engagement Log. I created a spreadsheet that allowed me to track people’s interactions on my post. It allowed me to see which users engaged the most and it also let me see if a post didn’t do as well if it could have been the algorithm or if there is certain content some of my followers don’t like. I inserted all my followers and then would pull a list of everyone who had liked my photos from the previous 2 weeks. (It’s hard to pull the data from a current week because I know I have followers who log on only once a week or also LIFE JUST HAPPENS and Instagram should be put to the side.
Am I Crazy? Probably. Is this harsh? Maybe. I might be a little excel obsessed BUT sometimes for a mental reason, you may need to cleanse just like your home or life. By making these list it can help you notice/find patterns for your photos. Including seeing what content followers don’t like, days they are less active and let you see if an account is a ghost follower. Instagram does have insight mapping that lets you know what days and times are best to post but I don’t know about anyone else but mine says the exact same thing for every day and I don’t believe that is true.
Follower Checker Ingredients List
Open Excel Name the first column Followers and then each of the next columns Following.
Your Follower List Collect your follower list from Instagram by going to Settings, Privacy and Security, Following. Then copy and paste the list into your excel sheet.
Your Following List Collect your following list from Instagram by going to Settings, Privacy and Security, Followers. Then copy and paste the list into your excel sheet.
Check for Duplicates Simple run a check duplicates scan on the document and ask it to highlight single instances and there you go you have all the people who you are not following back in the Followers and a list of the people not following you back in Following.
Like Checker Ingredients List
- Open Excel Name the first column Followers and then each of the next columns will be the date of the post you will be check for like count of.
- Your Follower List Collect your follower list from Instagram by going to Settings, Privacy and Security, Following. Then copy and paste the list into your excel sheet.
- Your Likes Option 1 Ask Instagram for a copy of your records (48 hour wait time)
- Your Likes Option 2 Go through photos individually and copy and paste all the people who liked each photo into a word document. Select one of the hyperlinked usernames and select “Select All Matching Text” this will highlight all the usernames then just copy and paste them into a column on the spreadsheet named with the date of the post.
- Check for Duplicates Simple run a check duplicates scan on the document and ask it to highlight single instances and there you go you have all the people who have not liked a post of yours in 2 weeks.
Easy Access to your Favorite Accounts
Making excel sheets is my stress relief but this doesn’t have to be your other ways to keep up to date with your favorite accounts without unfollowing anyone.
- Saved List of your most inspirational Instagrammers via Instagram’s Saved feature and take a day and only look at their post.
- Turn On Alerts turn on alerts for the accounts that give you positive vibes it could be a mood booster through the day or you can save up the notifications for later in the day.
- Close Friends List Now I know this tool is for stories but it could also work. Make a list of with the Close Friends List so you always have them grouped together.
The best advice is to only follow accounts you truly enjoy and if Instagram is starting to feel toxic take a break and then if needed do a cleanse